Mar 6, 2010

Five Years Ago Today...


My wonderful, beautiful dog Lily was born. I know this is a card blog, but Lily has been a huge part of my life ever since.

I was a senior is high school when my parents got her. At the time, I was not expecting a dog. I had been without one for over a year and had given up on getting on until after college and I would be on my own.

When they got her, I was in South Carolina playing baseball. The day she came home, I was on the mound, carrying my first ever no hitter into the fifth inning...and with two out gave up a bomb to Proctor's 1Bmen, and I was pulled from the game, but that's not important. What is important is that they never told me they were getting, or had taken her from her litter yet.

Anyways, a few days passed, and I returned home on or around the 9th of March. I got home at 3AM. I noticed my Mom was sleeping on the couch, which was a common occurrance with my parent's dueling snores.

I came in, my Mom woke up. It was still dark, but we all know where everything is in the house, and as I hugged my Mom I felt something warm and furry on the couch with her. The warm and furry turned into a licking, and eventually, a beautiful golden retreiver puppy was having a chew on my arm. I was instantly in tears with joy. It was the single greatest moment of my life.

While in college, the only thing that ever made me homesick (and I was only about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away) was Lily. Whenever I missed home, or was reluctant to leave, was because of her. I'll miss her when I head to Buffalo in August, but will be able to visit her whenever, as I'll (hopefully/finally) have a vehicle and will be able to come home when needed.

Bringing everything up to date: Last night I went to Target with my other love, Samantha, in hoped of finding Lily a present. I decided to grab her a Beneful meal, you know, those real swanky dogfood dishes that could feed a small child. I plan on mixing it with some dry dog food (as it's not a whole lot of content) and serving it in an iceberg lettuce-dish. Iceberg lettuce is her favorite.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Lily!

    there's always room for pet stories, thanks for sharing.
    it also reminded me to start shopping for a certain kitty who's bday is in three weeks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Love having some dogs around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great words, guys.

    When I figure out how to record sound better with my webcam, my idea is to have Lily in the background when I do box/pack rips. Something new, I guess. I've managed to keep (most) of my card dog-hair-cling free. Not so much the card scans.

    ReplyDelete