Jan 3, 2010

Plain Beautiful Cards: Volume 4 - 2004 Upper Deck Mike Sweeney #98


While scanning and uploading this card, I realized that Rafeal Furcal's 'o4 UD card was listed just a few days ago. I really want to avoid repetitious posting, so the readers will have to forgive me here.

Why this card needed to be here:

Seriously, if I was in Sweeney's place, even playing ball for a considerably poor franchise, I'd be this elated, too.

I don't know how many others have spent summers traveling their local geography on buses and overloaded carpools, waking up for 5AM before-school pitcher/catcher practices, walking door-to-door collecting bottles and cans to fund trips to sunny southern baseball tournaments, or anything related to playing baseball as a youth. I have been out of the game for four full summers at this point, due to injury, financial bounds, the enduring pursuit of science or just growing up, and I miss it.

Card collecting keeps me closer to the game than I ever thought it could, and is probably what keeps me sane outside of fantasy baseball and the MLB Network. If you ever wondered what it feels like to play baseball, please consult 2004 Upper Deck card #98.

2 comments:

  1. Great card of a really under appreciated player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you say that, because Upper Deck does to on the back of the card. "Mike is on of the most underrated players in the AL...".

    ReplyDelete